Familiar with the red cabbage salad from Clearman’s Northwood’s Inn? Yah, this is the closest I’ve come to it. . . and this is most definitely a dish you need to make ahead to make it good! I’m talking at least 1-2 days ahead. . .
- 1 head of red cabbage
- 1 cup of avocado oil
- 1 cup plus 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 ½ tsp onion powder
- Chop the head of cabbage up. Don’t slice it up into too small of pieces; instead cut them into 1-2 inch shreds. Put the shredded cabbage into a large mixing bowl
- Mix together the avocado oil, red wine vinegar, sugar, salt, seasoned salt, black pepper, and onion powder
- Pour the mixture over the cabbage, toss it all together. Scrape the salad and the dressing into a sealed container (I like Brilliance by Rubbermaid), and put it in the fridge.
- The longer this sits, the better it gits (sorry, had to do it). The flavors get better, the cabbage softens up a bit, all the colors mix and it turns this delightful red/purple color, and it’s even better after 4-5 days!
- Make sure to serve it cold. Enjoy!